KWANZAA, LIBERALISM AND HYPOCRISY

Starting on Dec. 26th through January 1st, millions of Black Americans will be celebrating “Kwanzaa”, which is widely known as a week-long “African-American Cultural Festive”.

Kwanzaa was founded by Maulana Karenga, chair of Cal State Long Beach‘s Department of Africana Studies, in 1966, in what he termed “an audacious act of self-determination.”

Karenga, a noted atheist and Marxist, teaches that Kwanzaa is based on seven principles, which he calls the “Nguzo Saba” (the seven principles of African Heritage), which he alleges “is a communitarian African philosophy: the best of African thought and practice in constant exchange with the world.”

The seven principles of Kwanzaa are allegedly Swahili terms.  Each of the seven days of Kwanzaa is dedicated to one of the principles:

• Dec. 26th, Umoja (Unity): To strive for and to maintain unity in the family, community, nation, and race.
  • Dec. 27th, Kujichagulia (Self-Determination): To define ourselves, name ourselves, create for ourselves, and speak for ourselves.
  • Dec. 28th, Ujima (Collective Work and Responsibility): To build and maintain our community together and make our brothers’ and sisters’ problems our problems, and to solve them together.
  • Dec. 29th, Ujamaa (Cooperative Economics) To build and maintain our own stores, shops, and other businesses and to profit from them together.
  • Dec. 30th, Nia (Purpose): To make our collective vocation the building and developing of our community in order to restore our people to their traditional greatness.
  • Dec. 31st, Kuumba (Creativity): To do always as much as we can, in the way we can, in order to leave our community more beautiful and beneficial than we inherited it.
  • Jan. 2st, Imani (Faith): To believe with all our hearts in God, our people, our parents, our teachers, our leaders, and the righteousness and victory of our struggle.

I have seen many Conservatives, Black and White, attack Black Americans for celebrating Kwanzaa, because its founder is atheist and a confirmed Marxist.

Others condemn it for different reasons. I take a different approach. I believe in personally attacking others.

In fact, I don’t have a problem with Black Americans who do choose to celebrate the principles of Kwanzaa.  That is their individual right and I respect their freedom to practice any celebration they choose.

However, the main reason is because the principles are all quite conservative in nature, albeit I concede that don’t know any Black Conservative who recognizes Kwanzaa or celebrate it.

It does appear, therefore, to be a liberal outlet, so to speak.

That leads me to believe that most so called Black liberals who are professing to embrace these so called principles are actually deceiving themselves, because liberalism, as an ideology and social practice, is a direct affront to each of the principles taught in the Kwanzaa celebration.

I would, quite honestly, be very excited, if so called liberals, who claim to celebrate Kwanzaa, where to actually put into practice these principles which they so superficially celebrate.

For example, if those who practice Kwanzaa are sincere in wanting to “maintain unity in the family and nation”, why, then, do they not fiercely opposed the liberal “Great Society” policies which have done more to break up and break down Black families than chattel slavery ever could?

I have rarely met a Black liberal who truly embraces the level of self-determination Kwanzaa proposes, which calls for one to define themselves and speak for themselves.

Too many of my fellow Black Americans have been deeply indoctrinated by an ideology which makes it instinctive to malign, slander, and assassinate any idea, definition, or expression that does not espouse liberal policies.

Thus, most Liberal Black Americans do not self-define. They are defined by their indoctrination into liberalism and they fight to promote those definitions, even to our own detriment far too often.

The masses of so called Liberal Black Americans do not believe in “collective work and responsibility”. If they did, they would not spend the dollar bill outside of our communities after circulating it only one time (dollar velocity). Moreover, they would absolutely support free market solutions in business, education, and health care, which would result in a stronger local economy.

They don’t want to “solve problems together’, but want the government to solve their problems.

When I was growing up, most of the local businesses were owned by local residents. That quickly changed as I reached my teens. Now, most of the businesses owned in predominantly Black neighborhoods are owned and maintained by people who do not live in the community. In many instances, who are not even American? Here again, a glaring hypocrisy.

Restoring our people to our “traditional greatness”? I wonder if that includes the legacies of both African and Americans of African descent who espoused individual responsibility.

Frederick Douglass once said: “A man may not get all that he deserves, but he must work for all that he gets”. That is a direct indictment of Obama’s HHS mandate, which actually goes to far as to strip Americans of the responsibility to work.

Nothing great about that. Certainly nothing “authentically” Black or African about that. Most of all, nothing American about that.

Predominantly Black urban communities can reasonably be described as “war zones”. More citizens are murdered therein than both Iraq and Afghanistan combined. Although trillions of dollars in poverty funds have been allocated there over the past 47 years, these communities are not more “beautiful” than before the so called “war on poverty”, but are, in fact, worse than they were before the declared war on poverty.

Finally, there is the so called principle of “Faith”.

I cannot accept that someone celebrating Kwanzaa “believes in God with all their hearts, in their children, etc.”, when they are cooperating with the genocide of millions of unborn Black Children, fighting against school choice, and championing liberal policies that are destined to deny our children of the opportunity to experience the kind of American Exceptionalism that our forefathers fought to guarantee us.

I would say that I and many of my colleagues,  on the other hand, live every single one of the so-called principles of Kwanzaa. The difference is that we base our principles on the Word of God and the principles of the Constitution of the United States of American, which transcend culture or “color”.

We did not need to look for guidance from the roots of Marxism, no matter how appealing they may be on the surface. We know that it’s not real. The proof is in the hypocrisy of those who claim to practice Kwanzaa.

So, in the final analysis, my intent is not to condemn the one who claims to practice Kwanzaa for doing so. Instead, it is to call into question the hypocrisy of those who clearly do not practice what they preach.

About these ads

About sswimp

I am not an "African-American'. I am a proud American, who happens to be of African descent. I am Christian. My personal relationship with Jesus Christ and the Word of God shapes my concepts of what it means to be a conservative. I am Pro Life. Devoted to the principles of free enterprise, limited government,and individual responsibility. I believe in the sanctity of marriage between a man and woman.
This entry was posted in Capitalism, Education, Faith, Free Enterprise, Social Issues, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to KWANZAA, LIBERALISM AND HYPOCRISY

1. Amy Walsh says:

Brilliantly thought-out and so profoundly stated, Stacy. Yet again, calling into question the reasoning (or lack thereof) of black Americans continuing to subscribe to so many policies, etc. that hold them back, perpetuate ignorance and keep them from claiming their rights, gifts and responsibilities due them in this great nation, and ordained the God above. Excellent.

2. Duncan Regen says:

I’m not all that familiar with this, but I did enjoy t he article. The basic concept sounds like stuff that ought to be worth pursuing.

3. Norma says:

Karenga, “a noted atheist and Marxist,” apparently never lived in a Communist/statist society if he thinks these principles would fly.

4. Lynne says:

Amen, brother! Merry Christmas to you and yours, Stacy.

5. Ruby says:

I’m ot sure exactly what it is you are attempting to do. Discredit Karenga or or make a statement about your conservatism. Either way the time it took for you to write this article could have been used doing something a bit more constructive. Why is it everything a Black person start there’s a problem with it according to AA. but, let a white person start something and you people are all over it. why, because they are lilly white, this is a bunch of crap. I celebrate Kwanzaa year around. I teach my children and grand childre the same principals everyday. To love and respect their family, community, and race. 2) to be proud of themselves, the color of their skin and to embrace their heritage and culture, 3) to help out their fellow man in what ever way they can and not live by that “crab-in-barrel’ syndrome so well know in AA communities, 4) to work hard, study hard and become leaders in their communities, establish businesses in the community 5) to be a part of the PSTA, go to city Council meetings, neighborhood meetings. Give back know what’s going on around them. Look out for the elders lastly I instill in them the Love of Jesus Christ. If they chose to step ouside of my christian beliefs I continue to embrace them and share my thoughts and ideas with them in a respectful way. for we are taught to rasie a child in the way we would have them to go and if they depart from it… Peace

• bethina59 says:

Ruby: Apparently you don’t understand the concept of concepts. What Stacy is doing a great job of stating here is the concept that the Liberalization of the Black community detracts from what Kwanzaa is all about – which is totally opposite to liberalism. The ones who push it as an “African-American” celebration of hope for their future generations are the same ones who DAILY do everything in their power to CRUSH that hope – to pull and hold the black community down. Good for you that you live Kwanzaa every day… as Christians, we are called to do the same. It does amaze me that an atheist came up with this entire format for building “community” (however the concept of being “self-made” , in my opinion, is opposite to acknowledging that we can only do all things through Christ). Kudos to you, Stacy, for the strength and truth of this article. I applaud you!

• Viebee says:

Ruby everything you mentioned here is what the bible teaches omitting the teaching of pride in race (that’s for another discussion). So why would one want to separate these principles in the bible and attribute them to one race which the main focus of those in that race is Christianity which they just finished celebrating? Those principles are found and developed as we focus on Christ Jesus. Seeking or trying to develop them outside of Jesus is total failure.

• Imani says:

Amen, hotep, heri and RIGHT ON Sister Ruby! I concur and I am a FIRE baptisted, tongue talkin’, Holy Spirit filled, Yeshua lovin’ follower of the Way/Christian who has practiced Kwanzaa for over thirty plus years! I strive to live the principles year round and have raised my children to embrace the principles! I value the principles of the Nguzo saba as I do the principles of the Bible. They all contribute to my wholeness as a daughter of the Most High. As the direct descent of Eve (and Adam) I continue to feel SORRY for these so called conservatives and any other slave mentality person (Negro) that rejects identification with the first people. They don’t have to celebrate, observe, practice or hold up Kwanzaa or what the concept stands for, just do us ALL a favor and shut the hell up, go sit down some where and pick the cotton from out of your navels! Sheesh and it’s 2013 and the dim bulbs are still just flappin dere gums about NOTHIN’!

6. All liberals don’t think the same just like all conservative don’t think the same. Make sweeping general statements about anyone or any group is intellectually lazy and socially irresponsible. There are liberal and conservatives who consistently practice the principles of Kwanzaa and are God-fearing human beings. Additionally pro-choice is not pro-abortion, Most pro-choicer’s I know hate abortion but detest rape and incest equally as much. Furthermore, this is a states right issue and those conservatives who believe in limited government don’t want the federal government in the bed room or the womb!!

• Carran says:

Brother Teferi, There is no such person as believing ProChoice is not ProAbortion. You either believe it is okay to kill a baby or you don’t. It doesn’t matter whether it is from rape or incest. Killing is killing, period. To take a stand that I wouldn’t do it personally but its okay for someone else to do it is simply lame thinking. Why is this not the same stand one would take regarding every other principle that is being eroded in our constitution? Like…I personally won’t own a gun, but I don’t care if anyone else does. The term ProChoice is meant to make it more acceptable. If you are ProChoice you are ProAbortion, plain and simple. “Thou shalt now kill”, you don’t get any clearer than that.

• bethina59 says:

I agree Carran. I was one who had no problem with the killing of a baby conceived in rape or incest, but have since been convicted of the truth that this “being” is no less a human life than any of the rest of us. Killing these children is still murder. Murder of an innocent who had no involvement in the commission of the crime against the mother. (and yes, incest is a crime just as rape is, since victims of incest are usually young girls who have been sexually abused or attacked). I have had the privilege of hearing some of these children (as adults) that were not aborted speak in ministry. How many brilliant minds are being destroyed by the act of abortion? How many Godly men and women, leaders in the faith, were cut off before God was allowed to use them in this life? This is precisely Satan’s plan – to stop the message that God has for us – to kill us off. How huge a mess have we created for ourselves in this world as we’ve followed the path that leads to unrighteousness and paganism? We are daily walking the “death walk” when we don’t give our lives and our hearts and our will to Christ.

7. Viebee says:

Ruby also pride in self is contrary to bible teaching. We only find who we are in Christ Jesus. The bible is a mirror. Pride in race is the key element to racism. Please be careful of what you are teaching your kids. :-)

8. Chris DeLaune says:

This was a great blog. As a fellow Christian and American of African descent, I agree with this post 110%. If Black liberals truly followed the tenets of Kwanzaa every single day, they would cease to be liberals and…*gasp* become conservatives.

9. Cap says:

THe 7 principles, although sounding good – in practice seem to emphasize division based on race.

• Imani says:

I am so glad that you wrote the word “seem” Cap. If everyone would understand that being for self doesn’t equate being against someone else or others, maybe some common ground in thought could be found.

10. Erva Asiala says:

Good thoughts on this subject!

11. 1) Children are very inward-focused (me, mine, I, my) & Kwanza looks to be the same (our race, ourselves, our community, our own stores, our people, our struggle); a very selfish philosophy. Have the celebrants discovered that Kwanza is not successful because it excludes so many others? 2) After the celebration of the birth of the One who came down to save us (Christmas) & give Himself as an offering for us (perfect sacrifice & selflessness) an atheist would invent a “cause” that uses 7 days to focus on self..(typical).

• Imani says:

Try practicing Passover, the Fest of Tabernacle and other Hebrew observances and then talk about so called exclusionary cultural celebrations and practices. your comments concerning culture speak loudly about your lack of cultural practices be they found worldwide or here in the States among New World Africans.

12. Pingback: No Kwanzaa for Me | Right Cogency

13. Viebee says:

Well said, hunter7taylor.

14. Scrollock says:

I would like to see a discussion on the oxymoron of “Christian Socialism”. I know a good many socialists who consider themselves to be Christians. I can’t get them to understand that the two philosophies are mutually exclusive. Socialism is a perversion of Christianity. It takes early Christian communalism and turns it into Communism.

15. Pingback: Kwanzaa Greetings From The Man Himself, Pres. Obama – News Provide